Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Time to sell my 937 monitors

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Time to sell my 937 monitors


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    My brother is looking for some monitors. If you would be so kind, forward this and some pix to [email protected]

    As far as pix here, you have to get a posting host then post a link to them.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Roger/Ana's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 19th, 2005
    Posts
    33
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    OK I copied this thread and included some J-pegs

    Does he live in Southern California?

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Time to sell my 937 monitors


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    No unfortunately. He's out here. Hopefully we can get a decent shipping rate. If need be we can do it on my company's account- I get a break on heavy stuff.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Roger/Ana's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 19th, 2005
    Posts
    33
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have 4 937 (proto type) cabinets
    each box has a mini Manta ray (forgot the model number) with a 808-16B driver and a 917-16B 12"
    (No crossovers I used them Bi-amped)
    The boxes were built as proto types and used for testing, by Altec)
    I bought them from Employee Sales when I worked there back in the 80's
    just before they closed Manchester and moved to Reno Ave in OKC
    I bought the components and carpeted the boxes on the idea of a small PA for Audio Visual meetings for 200 people, I used them only a few times and they have sat
    I rotated the boxes over the years just in case the myth about cones settling from sitting is true
    My 90 year old mother just passed away and I am cleaning up her home to sell and the boxes are stored over there now they have to go.
    I don?t have a "Blue Book" to see what they are worth assembled or in pieces
    My guess is $75 for the horn and driver and $75 for the 12" (throw in the box for free)
    So $300 a pair or $550 for all 4.

    I will try to post J-pegs once I figure out how its done here

  5. #5
    HB Forum Owner Russ Farrell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    46
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Roger:

    The 937 used the MR931-12 horn, 908-8B driver, and an ER-12 (NO suffix) woofer. Crossover was 3 kHz. I can't figure out why yours were 16-ohms, unless they loaded the boxes to take pictures. The 917 makes a much better PA speaker IMHO, but the stockroom cost was way above the ER-12.

    I have the preliminary and final spec sheets, the tri-fold brochure and the 8 x 10 B&W glossy photo for the 937. If you haven't sent the info to Old Guy's brother yet and need to copy or scan any of it, Email me or call my cell at 504-5488 (Anaheim). Old Guy, the same applies to you - let me know if you want copies.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Roger/Ana's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 19th, 2005
    Posts
    33
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Russ
    Do you remember Manual the Company Carpenter? I saw these 4 (unfinished) boxes in the corner of his shop and he mentioned that they were a test proto-type for some new monitor they were testing, I think manual called them "937?s"
    And also Stan Miller boxes from the name on the blue print
    The had two round ports instead of the square single port, also these boxes did not have the slanted cut for true monitor usage
    The boxes had been there for a while and I got all 4 during the big move from Manchester to Reno Ave OKC (they were unfinished, empty except for the R-19 insulation)
    As far as the components, I purchased 4 808 alnico pots (tangerine phase plug) and they all had 16 ohm diaphragms (21569 I think?)
    And the 917 speakers I purchased from a local vendor and they also had 16 ohm VC
    I amd the vendor put the gray in-door out-door carpet on them and I used the 12 inch pizza screens for the speaker
    So I though with 4 of them at 16 ohms each and a Dynaco 400 with an Ashley X-over set to 1500 I would have a 4 ohm load on both inputs
    I ran them as 1 pair or all 4 and they worked out very well

    I will try to give you a call over the weekend

    I am selling my late mothers home on the west end of Fullerton and the boxes
    the last Altec speakers I have,
    Have to go
    I also have those University IB-40 70 volt drivers and big horns I would like to get
    rid of also, if there are any sound companies out there that use these

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Time to sell my 937 monitors


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Roger/Ana:
    So I though with 4 of them at 16 ohms each and a Dynaco 400 with an Ashley X-over set to 1500 I would have a 4 ohm load on both inputs
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">4 - 16 ohm loads would be 4 ohms if you ran all of them on one channel. It can't be a 4 ohm load on both channels. It would be 8 ohms on each channel.

    On a mono amp it would be one 4 ohm load.

    Two 16 ohm loads on each channel is an 8 ohm load.


    Used to spec 16 ohm monitors when I could just for that reason. In the old mono Bi-amp days we'd use an amp for lows, then a smaller top amp one side would drive the highs, the other channel could run up to 4 monitors.
    A real handy rule of thumb assuming all speakers are the same, is just divide by how many on that channel. In other words, 16/2 equals 8. 16/4 would be 4.

    No big deal, just in the interest of accuracy.

    My brother is interested if you still have them in a couple weeks. He's waiting on some money. Aren't we all?

    Those old Dynaco's were good amps. Way back when I had some modded with rack mount capacitor banks underneath to boost the power supply. Sounded better, were cheaper, and had more power than Crown DC 300A's. What else do you need?

    Dynaco died in the late 70's/early 80's recession that later killed Altec. Not to mention Kustom, and a dozen other well known American brands.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Time to sell my 937 monitors


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Sometimes I'm a little dense. Yes it is a 4 ohm load on each channel. A little dangerous for the 808's though.

  9. #9
    HB Forum Owner Russ Farrell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    46
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Roger:
    Sorry for the typo. Try 404-5488.
    Russ

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Time to sell my 937 monitors


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    A decent way to do internet money is PayPal- been using them for years without a problem. You can have the funds dumped into your bank account or choose to recieve a check.
    Of course there is the old Post Office money order.

    If I take a money order I insist on either Western Union or US Post Office. Taking one from Roger's Friendly Money Order Company is risky...

    As far as shipping whatever you two work out- I have freight and ground accounts they could be shipped on..I am just here to serve.
    He has an AB sytems biamp unit that can be configured to run these. One of my old castoffs...

    AB systems makes good stuff it just weighs a ton. I'm too old to move that heavy stuff anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.